Monday, April 13, 2009

Pump, Pump the Jam. Pump it Up

GAIAM Cardio Pilates
(DVD)

You will need 45 minutes and you may want a yoga mat and some tennis shoes.
-------
This video allows you to get to the workout fairly directly. Most workout videos seem to go through several previews, advertisements and a long narrative at least. This one has a short GAIAM ad and a fairly quick narrative, which is really nice.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. It didnt seem to bother me, but just shocked me a little, but there is no warm-up. You jump right in to the hundred. And if you have ever done Pilates, you know that the hundred is where you hold a crunch position with shoulders up AND both legs up and you oscillate your arms 100 times up and down. Then the video takes you through about 30 more minutes of ab work. I was definitely sore the next day!

If you remember my last review, I went on and on about hamstring stretches. This video also has you curl forward at your back for the stretch. But I will say, this instructor really emphasizes internal stabilization (pulling your belly button in and up). And so as long as you don't currently have a 'bad back', it seems okay to do it. Just remember remember to pull that belly button in. And she does a good job at reminding you.
And here I am being a poser again.
Anyways, I would recommend this video. It's definitely challenging (there was one exercise that I just had to skip a few reps because my body wouldnt let me go on), and not at all boring. However, it will drive you insane how much the instructor says "tiny waist". It' one of her ways to tell you to stabilize, but it drove me crazy.
Do I recommend? Yes.

2 comments:

Taumi said...

hehe, I probably will never do any of these videos you recommend but I like reading your reviews. Maybe I should review my Dancing with the Stars workout video. lol

KATE said...

Wow, what a tiny waist you have;) Not super motivated, but you almost made me want to work out.