Friday, December 11, 2009

Matthew 1:11

"and Josiah the father of Jeconiah [aka Jehoiachin] and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon."

Josiah, what an awesome little nugget he was!  Only 8 years old when he became king.  Let me think, when I was 8...I was homeschooled and living in Missourri.  I spent my days playing with barbies, animals, making mud pies and fighting with my brother.  Yup, don't think I was ready to rule a nation quite yet.

Josiah (a bit older at this point) decided to renovate the temple of the Lord, make it nice again after Manasseh's reign.  He took money from the temple of the Lord and gave it to the workers.  He said that he didn't need to "account for the money entrusted to them, because they are acting faithfully."

While this went on, Hilkiah, the high priest, told Josiah's secretary that the Book of the Law had been found in the temple of the Lord.  (boy, that place must have been a complete mess if even that was lost).  Shaphan, Josiah's secretary brought it to Josiah and started reading from it.  Josiah immediately tore his robes (this is a good sign that something didn't settle right with him at this point).  He was furious that his forefathers had neglected to obey this important book. 

The Lord gave word through a prophet that he will destroy this place and all of its people, but because Josiah was obviously not a supporter of such sin, he would be spared.  He would be able to die in peace and "you're eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place."

I so so so wish I had the time to write the rest of this story, but again I will have to leave it up to you if you are interested.  The story continues in 2 Kings 23.

Have a great Friday!!

1 comment:

KATE said...

I'm really liking these recent blogs, it helps put things in perspective and what an amazing book he's given us.