Sunday, July 25, 2010

Book Reviews

I've actually been reading again.  Ah, life is good :)



I finished The Shack.  An interesting book; the fact that it seemed to freak alot of people out and was said to be a life-altering read made me both curious and hesitant to read it.  But when my mom gave it to me, it was on my shelf, so I read it!

I think it truly is life altering for the reader that has never looked into what they believe spiritually.  Someone who has never taken the time to question their sense of reality or has never truly studied the bible.  But if you have gone a little further what is told to you as a child, I think it won't completely knock your socks off. 
Now don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad book or a boring book at all.  I thought it had alot of insightful messages and could be a great book club book because of the great conversations it would start.  All I'm saying is...well, all I'm saying is that you shouldn't be scared of this book by all of the hype.  Instead it's a fairly quick and interesting read.

A few quotes from the book:

  • Will you at least consider this: When all you can see is pain, perhaps you lose sight of me?
  • Do you realize that your imagination of the future, which is almost always dictated by fear of some kind, rarely, if ever, pictures me there with you?
  • The future...isn't even real, nor will it ever be real. You try and play God, imagining the evil that you fear becoming reality, and then you try and make plans and contigencies to avoid what you fear.
  • There are a lot of smart people who are able to say a lot of right things from their brain because they have been told what the right answers are, but they don't know me at all. So really, how can their answers be right even if they are right?
So what is my verdict?  Yes, I would recommend this book :)



Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

A real cute book.  Drawings on every page and the font is like handwriting (except it is neater than my own).  What I liked about this book is that the author somehow remembered some of the craziness of a child's way of thinking and described it so well through a little boy living it.  And at times I thought, how can this kid not realize how mean he is to his friend?  But then I thought back to being a kid and how mean we all were to eachother.  Most of us didn't realize how we impacted other kids' lives it seemed.  So I guess, even though I felt bad for the other kid, I'm glad that the book stuck to being more realistic, at least in my experience.

No quotes from this book, since it's like a kid talking, and there isn't anything really profound.  It's more about the way of thinking and the situations he gets himself into.

Should you read the book?  Well, if you like children's books every once in a while like I sure do, then I would say it's one you probably shouldn't miss.  If you don't like children's books...then stay far far away from this book, haha.

As for what I'm reading now, just look to the right of this page and there should be a list somewhere.

No comments: