Friday, April 24, 2009

happy sabbath!


A while back I was driving in rush hour traffic on I-94 in Minneapolis. I was behind a car with a bumper sticker that declared the driver's love for Jesus. Then I witnessed this very driver shaking her hand at a car next to her who she was visibly making known her anger to in the midst of this traffic jam. I immediately was appalled at her temper. I mean, this woman loves Jesus! Does that bumper sticker mean nothing to her? Did it come on the car when she bought it? Is it her husbands car?

And then I thought, wow. It's incredible how high of standards I have for this woman and how quick I am to judge her just because of a bumper sticker. It got me thinking of how once you put a Jesus bumper sticker on your car, that's it. People will judge your actions according to that bumper sticker. That bumper sticker alone is ministering to people when you let them cut in your lane. That bumper sticker alone is feeding to a dangerous stereotype when you glare (or gesture...) at that other driver that ticked you off. Wow, I thought, just putting a little sticker on your car is such a big decision and commitment.

Which led me to thinking that when I declare myself a Christian, it's not that much different. I'm just putting a Jesus sticker on my forehead instead of my car, and I will be judged by other people accordingly. So I'd better be the christian I claim to be. Because I certainly hope I've never been and never will be the reason someone is turned off of Christianity!

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for oyu, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
'He commited no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.'
When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly."
1 Peter 2:21-23

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

That's SUCH a good thought! So true.

And I heard a reply to the "Jesus is my co-pilot" phrase once - something about Jesus shouldn't be your co-pilot, He should be THE pilot!

Miriam said...

haha, V, very true...
Good Sabbath thought!

Taumi said...

I certainly hope I have never been nor will be the reason someone is turned off by Christianity either. Good thoughts.